Thursday, August 21, 2014

Week One Story Book Favorites

     For this post I tried to read three stories that based on their title, would give me a different option of how to put my storybook together. Each of the stories had a similar layout as far as page navigation, each one being a basic webpage with buttons on the side of the page to navigate through the storybook, and a pictures in the middles. The titles of these stories is what set them apart for me when I was searching for different stories to write about.

     The first story that caught my eye was Delilah's Radio Hour . This story put an interesting twist on the the oral storytelling tradition. In the introduction I was thrown into a radio show that had just come out of a Backstreet Boys song. The host of the show began talking about a recent listener, and the story of Rama and Sita began. In the next chapter of the storybook the story continued as if the show had just come back from commercial break and the rest of the storybook followed in that same method from chapter to chapter. I found this to be an interesting spin because the author was able to tell this story in a very unique way, by placing an epic story in the confines of a cheesy late night radio show. I found this version to be a creative way to tell an old story in an updated way.

     The next story book I read was the Nighttime Nagas. The introduction of this storybook seemed to take a historical approach to the retelling of the epics. It gave a brief description about what the stories were going to be and then jumped right in with a god telling his/hers child a bedtime story. I do feel that this introduction was more effective that the first example because it helped me know what I was about to read before I got into the story, although the first story I read was a little more entertaining in its approach, this storybook's introduction was more informational. This author was extremely effective in making the god's more relatable to human beings, thus removing their godliness and in effect making them more human.

     The third storybook I read was Hindu Goddesses: What They're all About.This storybook was similar to the second example because it used the characters of a parent reading a bedtime story to their child. The introductions of these two examples are different in that in the Nighttime Nagas the introduction took a historical approach, in this third example the introduction was much like a children's fairy tale book might start. Pandimi runs to bed and asks her mother about a goddess and her mother gives a brief introduction about the goddess and then in the next chapter the mother begins the bedtime story. This story took an interesting approach from the first two examples because the first two seemed to be written for an adult audience and this story was created for young children. This was a creative way to show that these epics are not just for adults but can be told to children as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment