Sunday, August 31, 2014

Famous Last Words Part 2



Growth.....A poem for Emma (Revised 2014)


I wish this was a monster in the closet or goblin under her bed,
Or a dragon I could slay for my princess instead,
I’d be her knight in shining armor, Uncle Joe to the rescue,
I’d tell her not to worry, and then I’d know just what to do,

But those are the fairy tales we teach to our kids,
I am not prepared to discover the real monsters do exist,
The truth is,

It’s been a little over a year since she came into my life,
Everyday a blessing,
Now I watch her fight for more years to add to that life,
Everyday a real blessing,
The misery of a parent’s sorrow flows though my veins,
Multiplying, cell upon cell, as it eats away,
Poison that kills its only cure,
As the locks of sunny hair fall murdered to the floor,
Her father, my brother, the better half of me,
I watch. He holds back a dam of sadness,
God is good; God is great, praise the lord!
For he has saved me from the ability to intervene,
She smiles, she giggles, as I hold back my rage,
Miracles grin, they laugh, as they escape my grip,
These hands that can crush earth are of no use to me,
When I am alone, I sit at home, and remember,
Her second day at school, her second dance, her second this, her second that,
Seconds that will never happen without her firsts,
So I cry, I do, I cry, I shed the memories from my eyes,
Losing her is........ like losing my very own,
Since her first breath I’ve seen her grow,
Now I can’t look at her face because I’m too weak,
To her parents, I can’t speak the warm embrace that words can bring,
There is nothing I can do; I’m as useless as wishing on a star
Yet faithfully I still pray,
“Let me pay for my sins, take me instead, PLEASE! just let her stay,”
I’d gladly let the poison enter my body if it would set her free,
Vomit in buckets happily for her even if it put me in a box,
Lose all my hair and smile if she could keep her locks....have her first class, dance, this, that,
Beat this cancer for her; I’d do it for us both,
All for a princess without a growth….

No comments:

Post a Comment