Thursday, August 21, 2014

Week one Introductiom

      Welcome to my page. Hello my name is Joe. The basic information about me is that I am an English writing track major at the University of Oklahoma, and some day I hope to try my hand at the law profession. I hate these introductions because I always feel like I am writing a profile for some dating website like eharmony.com only at my age my likes are waking up and oatmeal, and my dislikes are not waking up and cold coffee so for the remainder of this introduction I will try to give you guys a little my personal information that usual.
      First off I am a father of one amazing 11 year old boy named Ethan. I know this is going to sound cliche but for me my real life began the day he was born. So I guess under likes I would have to say spending time with my son. I know that most people say they have a good looking kid, but mine really is a good looking kid.
Ethan from Personal photos 2011

      Besides spending time with my kid I enjoy eating. I am a total foodie, I love trying new things I have never eaten before, and then taking friends to try the food items I have discovered. I am a Starbucks junkie, and when I say junkie I mean yes I would sell a family member for a venti Mocha. I am the type of person that if you take seriously, you will think is a person that is pompous, rude, and without social manners, but if you realize that I am joking then most likely you will just laugh at me because you know I am being stupid. I love to hear laughter from people and don't mind being the butt of a joke at all. If I had a motto for life it would be: Live Awesome.
      Living awesome encompasses so many things but mostly it means that you don't need permission from anyone to shine. When I say "I'm Awesome" and I have been saying it for years, people always look at me as if to say, "Oh really," my point in saying that I am awesome is not because I am trying to diminish anyone else but rather I am lifting myself up. I believe that everyone should think they are awesome, because it is important to tell yourself something then go out in life and live up to your words. If someone believes that it is more important to be humble then I think that is great they can have my humbleness and be humble for both of us. It is not an arrogance issue but rather I wanna live each day at one hundred percent effort so that I can squeeze every bit of good out of it, because let's face it, when it is over, it is over and this body will be thrown in the ground and turn to dust, so might as well try to succeed each and every day.

14 comments:

  1. Hi Joe! I wanted to let you know that I totally understand the awkwardness of how to start an introduction without it sounding like a commercial dating site as you said, but I definitely smiled while reading it! You have a very good sense of humor and you are right, your son is literally adorable. He is going to grow up to be a very handsome man. I am beyond glad to read your mentioning that you are awesome and you tell yourself that not because you want to be arrogant, but to be awesome each day. That is an incredible amount of insight and compassion not only for yourself but for others to realize as well. It's hard for people to think that of themselves, especially on a daily basis. It's amazing to see that you already know and believe that about yourself! Looking forward to reading your later posts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Joe! I must say your son is adorable! I really think you would like law because it is such an interesting yet powerful field to get into. I personally was debating between law and medicine but chose medicine instead. You have a great sense of humor and I think your son is lucky to have such a fun and cool dad.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah, this is great - I learned some things about you from your other posts this week... but this Introduction helped put so many things together! And what a cute guy your Ethan is! Have you thought about doing a writing project for this class together with him? That would be totally cool if you want to do that. Last semester someone wrote his project with his son in mind as the audience, and it turned out beautifully (The First American Heroes). So think about that as a possibility as you explore the readings for class; I'm guessing when you meet up with characters like Hanuman, for example, you might get a sense of how you could craft some stories that would appeal to Ethan too! And that would be AWESOME, yes? Anyway, I hope you will enjoy the class, taking advantage of some new writing experiences and possibilities that expand on your English classes!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Joe,
    I definitely should have commented on this post before your storytelling one to help make sense of everything. I am slowly realizing that I am surrounded by non-traditional students, and I find it really cool. Good luck with your semester.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey, Joe! It’s great to (virtually) meet you and be in the same class as you. I can totally write about writing introductions- I never know exactly what to include or what others might find interesting. Your son is super cute and I’m sure you’re a wonderful father. I also really like how you recognize that everyone should believe in themselves and recognize that we should all strive to be our best every day because our time is finite.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Joe, nice to make your e-quaintance.
    It's awesome to read that you're a foodie. I don't know if I consider myself one, but I definitely love food. One look at me would tell you as much. Do you keep up with any of the culinary competitions on TV these days? I love Master Chef and Hell's Kitchen (anything Gordon Ramsay touches, really), and I also watch a lot of Chopped. I often find myself trying to recreate techniques that I see on TV, sometimes to great success.
    It seems like you've got a good attitude in life. I'm one of those humble types who keeps to himself but still tries to squeeze as much meaning and significance out of life that I can, but it takes all kinds, man. You seem to be a loving father who knows what is important to him and acts accordingly, and I can respect that.
    Good luck with the rest of the class. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello, Joe! And welcome to the newest dating craze--Blogger?! Haha, but really, sometimes formal (and even informal) introductions end up sounding totally ridiculous; fortunately, I think everyone in this class understands that, seeing as we had to introduce ourselves in the same way.

    In other news, I must say that your honesty and sense of humor are very refreshing. If only everyone could simply mean what they say and say what they mean, life would be so much better. And if people took a page from your book and decided to "live awesome," how awesome life could be!! Lol.

    Seriously, though, it seems that you are a genuine guy, and a loving father, so kudos! Good luck with the rest of the semester, and I look forward to reading more of your posts!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Joe!
    First off, I have to say, your introduction is by far my favorite.
    I think we all go into the first day of class deciding what "fun facts" we wanna say about ourselves. "Awkward" would be the right word for that.
    Your son is adorable to say the least. Also, I COMPLETELY understand your love for Starbucks. Like i've already been today and I will go later today no doubt.
    I like your honesty and your look on life. You seem like a very interesting person and i'm glad I got to read your blog!
    Good luck with the rest of the semester! I hope to read more of your posts!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey good morning Joe! I have to totally agree with you on how awesome food is. I literally have the food network on 24/7 at my place. If you got any great restaurant discoveries, do please let me know. I’ll let you in on a one of my favorite little know places. There’s a taco truck off of highway 9 right before you get on I-35, it’s always in the shell parking lot. Definitely is some of the best Mexican food I have ever had.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Joe! Your little boy is ADORABLE! I think it is so awesome that you are pursuing your education while having a son at the same time, I can only imagine how much time that takes, but I am sure it is worth it! I, too am such a starbucks junkie, I go almost everyday! The thing that really stood out the most to me about you is your life motto. "Live awesome" is such a good motto to live by and really makes you want to just take a moment to take a breath and appreciate everything in life!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey Joe, I'm Catherine. When I read that you are on the English writing track, I was not surprised at all. By reading your last storybook post I knew you are a great writer, but now I know it is because you have a general natural talent for writing and are pursuing to refine your art by taking classes on writing. It is very nice to meet you, and I look forward to reading more of what you write.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey Joe! I didn't get around to doing a storybook post this week (oops!), so I had the freedom to choose to comment on any blog. I'm really glad that I chose to take a look at yours. This was definitely one of the most entertaining introductions that I have read! I really enjoyed the advice that you had to offer at the very end. I completely agree with what you had to say. Anyway, it was nice getting to know a little bit about you!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hey Joe, nice to meet you! I am also a major foodie and love trying new foods and introducing them to my friends. I have some friends who are on the track for law school as well and they say it is no easy task so I wish you the best of luck with your studies and your son!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Joe!! Your son is so adorable!! At first when I saw the picture, I for some reason thought it was a photo of you from 2011 and I just thought to myself, "WOW, this guy is so young." Haha. I love what you said about if you were taken seriously because that is seriously how my friends and I are. We are all so rude and sarcastic but we always mean it all out of love! I loved reading your storybook this week!

    ReplyDelete