Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Story Telling Ramayana Continued

The Blue, The Red, The Rat, and The Lightning

http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/3.0/
The door to the office kitchen began to glow red like the coals in the bottom of a barbeque pit and the walls turned to ash and faded away like a dream does just before you wake up. The sky burned bright blue like it was on fire, fed by propane. The ground was different, it was soft not solid like the tile I was standing on, it was more like dirt, soft dirt after a light rain. Was I dreaming? This new world that my eyes were showing me could not have been real, this must be a dream. I looked to Lance but I did not recognize him. He looked more like a soldier than a car salesman. His skin was a different color. His eyes burned with fury at what he was seeing.

By flydime (http://www.flickr.com/photos/flydime/4671890969/) [CC-BY-SA-2.0 (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/2.0)], via Wikimedia Commons

I hadn’t noticed yet but we were surrounded. Littered as far as my new eyes could see we were surround by feral rats. They were talking to us; I know this because I could understand them.

My arms moved into an odd position as if they were holding something. This felt like an out of body experience. My right arm was extended straight in front of me and my left hand was by my face. What was I holding, and better yet why did I feel like I was aiming at something? The wind was hot as it touched my skin. It began to swirl around me kicking up ash and dirt, painting my face and body with both. My eyes noticed a bluish white light in my right hand. I was holding lightning. I could feel the erratic vibration of its energy pulse through the palm of my hand and through the rest of my body, only it did not move towards the ground but up through my chest and head till it entered my other hand that rest against the side of my face. It exited the fingertips on my left hand and moved in a straight line until it reached my right hand. It was a bow. A bow made of pure lightning.

By Florent Chouffot (Own work) [CC-BY-SA-3.0 (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0)], via Wikimedia Commons

I could see now that I was aiming toward the center of the rat army at the largest feral beast in sight. It was their general. It had to be. He was the one shouting orders and when he shouted all the other rats seemed to move in the direction he wanted them too. A loud humming passed my ear and there was a flash of light. All the rats dropped to the ground dead.

Gustave Doré [Public domain], via Wikimedia Commons


It was me, I mean it wasn’t, but it was, I had released the arrow without knowing I had done so. It just sort of happened. The lighting moved from rat to rat connecting each of them in a light storm of death until it finally entered the heart of the Rat General. The smell of the burnt flesh was almost as bad as the smell of the burnt hair that now filled my nasal cavity. 

The ground began to shake, and beneath where the Rat General lay dead the earth opened up and  lava erupted from the ground. 

By J.D. Griggs edit by User:Mbz1 (Own work) [Public domain], via Wikimedia Commons

Again we were surrounded only now it seemed as if Mother Earth was our enemy. I looked at my brother but he stood solid in his resolve, showing no sign of fear. The lava began to move on the ground as if it was alive, towards the hole it erupted out of. It continued to build upon itself until it had arms and legs, then a head and a mouth. It looked like Brian’s brother Phil. Again I looked at Lance; still he had that same look of fury in his eyes.



“You have offended my sister, injured her honor, and hurt her physically. No one, especially so stupid green pea human is going to get away with…..”

Once again my body moved without my consent and I let another arrow fly towards him. I could feel the air scream in agony as the arrow popped and boomed through the sound barrier. My cheeks felt the air's rage as more ash and dirt pelted my face. It was instant. There was not even time for Phil to adjust the look of anger to a look of surprise when the arrow pierced his chest and separated his head from his body. It felt natural to me, like I was meant to kill him, yet my chest became heavy with sorrow and guilt. I had just killed a person. Not a rat, or some animal for food but a real living breathing human being. I fell to my knees and pierced the ground with my fingers. Gripped the dirt within the palms of my hands.

"Yes this was real."

 I could feel the dirt, "this was real."

I could taste the ash on my tongue and feel the hot air fill my lungs. This was not a dream at all, this was real. I closed my eyes and begged for this nightmare to be a nightmare. I could feel the tears carve streams as they made their way down my face before falling off my chin. The tears cooled my face as they washed away the ash. My body began to get cold again.

“Are you listening to me? JOE! HELLO! Anyone home?” I opened my eyes and I was sitting at my desk in front of Sara. I could still smell the rats.





Author's Notes
This is just another in the series I am writing of the Ramayana, if you have read the previous stories then this one should be pretty easy to pick up on.

No comments:

Post a Comment