Thursday, October 30, 2014

Story Telling Week 11

Sita and the Boy in Blue
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/b/b3/05.RamSitaGods.png

Sita sat in the garden near the palace of Lanka when she smelled smoke. She looked up in horror to find that the beautiful cit was burning to the ground. She thought to herself "What could have caused this?" when suddenly a monkey named Hunaman appeared before her. "What have you done?"

"Your husband is here to save you my lady. He and his army is across the waters and soon he will be here to rescue you."

"OH NO!"

"Ok. That is not the response I expected from you Sita."

"Do I look like I need rescuing?"

"Well yes you do."

"Well No I don't. I am happy here. I have known Ravana for years. We went to highschool together and well look at him. All those heads and arms and muscles. I am not a prisoner."

"But my lady you are married to Rama?"

"Is that what he told you? Gosh he just won't listen. I was never with Rama. He is not my husband he is my stalker."

"Stalker?"

"Yes. He has been obsessed with me since he came to see my father. I have been trying to get away from him ever since. I went to the forest to live as a hermit and told him I needed some time to think. He turned down his crown and told everyone we were going into exile and followed me. I needed to escape and so I sent him after a golden deer and hit up Ravana on Facebook to come get me. When Ravana showed up we left."

"But my lady, then why did you leave a trail of jewelry to lead us to you?"

"What do you mean?"

"Well you threw this ring down to me."

"Yes I threw it. I was getting rid of it. Why would I want to wear that ugly wedding ring."

"What should I tell my master Rama?"

"Tell him that if every man in the world was gone and he was the last man on earth I would choose to be single rather than be with him. Now be off and do not return."
Hunaman returned to Rama and told him what Sita had said and Rama responded by saying, "Oh pay her no mind little monkey, she is playing what we rich folk call 'Playing Hard to Get'. Let's go forward with the plans to rescue my love."

Hunaman began to realize that this was more of a kidnapping rather than a rescue but still did as his master ordered. The battle of Lanka began. It raged on for quite a while, like for eight pages. Which in those days meant like twenty thousand years or something like that, and when it was over Rama went to Sita.

"I am here my love."

"You again. Come on man take a hint. I am not into you."

"You are so funny. That is one of the things I love about you Sita is that you have a really great sense of humor."

"You are crazy Rama. You burned this city to the ground. Killed everyone in it. Why?"

"Because I had to save you."

"I didn't need to be saved. Look we can't ever be together. I am with child"

"A magical baby! My Sita the pure carries my child. This is wonderful news."

"Yeah.......it's a magical baby alright. I spent the last year here with Ravana and now I am pregnant and oh wow it is a miracle....Yep that is what it is...because he never touched me." She couldn't help but laugh under her breath.

"I bet the child will have my eyes. We should call for a celebration."

"Yeah it will most certainly have your eyes. Look you are not hearing what I am telling you. You are a great guy. I mean who wouldn't want a man that constantly doesn't listen to her and makes her live in poverty and slaughters countless people in her name, but at this point in my life I need to focus on me. It's just that I am 
not in a good place to be in a relationship. It is not you. It is me."

"You are perfect."

Frustrated by Rama Sita jumped into the fire. Unfortunately it began to rain and she was unharmed. She screamed in frustration. Rama took this as a sign of her proving her purity to him and took her back to his kingdom. When they got there Sita wrote Rama a Dear John letter and left it for him. After reading the letter Rama gathered his people together to tell them the news.

"So guys our queen is gone. I told her,'hey babe you're great and all but you are smothering me. I need some me time. It is not you it is me.' so I dumped that chick guys. I am rolling solo. Just me the king. Single. You know what I am saying. No ball and chain to hold me back. I am going to be at the bar tonight tossin back shots and mingling with the ladies if you know what I mean."

Because Rama was the king, Hunaman and others let him save face with his lie.



Author's Notes
I have always felt like Rama treated Sita like a piece of property, or like he was just some rich entitled spoiled prince. I wanted to change this story and make a story about "What if Rama was a creepy dude that couldn't take no for an answer." All the details of the story are there but I changed the perspective of the characters. I thought of this after watching Sita Sings the Blues

Bibliography
Sita sings the Blues/ Youtube/ Nina Paley

6 comments:

  1. Wow, this is definitely a unique take on the Ramayana. I have to say, you did a good job taking all the elements in the story and re-explaining them in a different way to fit your own narrative. I feel like none of your characters come off as, well, good though. Like, none of them are redeeming characters, they're all jerks. Maybe that's what you were going for though. Certainly a unique perspective though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. After reading this story I'm kinda struck speechless. Not because it's terrible or anything, but because it really turns the epic on its head in a very believable way. Throughout the Ramayana there are definitely times when events just don't seem to link together, or when the love between Rama and Sita seems false. Yet in your retelling, all of these anomalies can be easily explained. So congratulations on crafting a unique and cynical parody of a timeless and romanticized epic, I guess, haha.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Joe, I must say you really changed the whole point of Ramayana with this story. I liked how you changed it because it was fun to read but then now I am kind of lost on what to think. But I think you did a great job with your creativity and that picture is on point. Good job with this one!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Joe! This was a really great story and you put a really modern spin on the story of the Ramayana. I really like how you told this story because it kind of relates to the shows and movies we watch today. The twist on this story was quite unbelievable. I think it was that way just because of the way I am used to hearing this story. It was something completely different. It was also great that they had facebook and other technological advances that we have today to be used in this story. I can’t wait to read many more stories from you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Joe, I thought this was a very creative option for a storytelling post! I like how you took events from the Ramayana and transformed the reasons behind them to fit this twist. Such as why Sita was throwing her jewelry down and why she jumped in the fire, brilliant! Contrary to other posts, I was more intrigued to go on with this story since I did not know what to expect. I hope to read more stories with a twist like this off your page, great job!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really enjoy this story! You took this in such a different direction than what I expected! your twist pulled me in and kept me wondering what would happen next. Plus, I am a little bit partial to Sita's character. I would have liked to have heard more about her and her life/story in the Ramayana, so these Storytelling assignments that feature her fulfill something for me. Also, you changed Rama and really made me think "what if Rama was like that?" I never thought about Rama that way so I liked that you challenged my ideas about him! Great job!

    ReplyDelete